Kombucha & The Benefits
Kombucha (pronounced kom-boo-cha) is produced by fermenting a blend of black, green or white tea using a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast) and sugar (there is hardly any sugar left at the end of the process as Kombucha converts this sugar to healthy digestive enzymes and other active ingredients that benefit your body). It has qualities that detoxify the body and energise the mind.
The SCOBY or symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast, is the collection of microbes responsible for turning sweet tea into a probiotic beverage. Essentially it is a living colony of beneficial organisms that turn sugar into healthful acids and probiotics.
Kombucha is a multi-functional drink, is fat-free and does not contain any protein.
Some of the health benefits of drinking kombucha:
- Immunity issues – increases your overall gut health
- Probiotics – the healthy bacteria
- Improves digestion
- Alkalizes the body – balances internal pH
- Detoxifies the liver – happy liver, happy mood
- Boosts energy – helps with chronic fatigue
- Increases metabolism – gets everything moving
- Rebuilds connective tissue – helps with arthritis, gout, asthma, rheumatism
- Aids healthy cell regeneration
- Helps clear up candida & yeast infections
- Alleviates constipation
- Reduces blood pressure
- Relieves headaches & migraines
- Reduces kidney stones
- High in antioxidants – destroys free-radicals that can cause cancer
- Can heal eczema – can be applied topically to soften the skin
- Helps aid hair and nail growth
- Lowers glucose levels – prevents spiking from eating